Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire Damage Situations
After any fire damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay on the property?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Be cautious, wet materials can be VERY heavy.
No one hopes to experience a fire damage event. The damage left behind after a fire can be unsafe for the average person to handle on their own. Our SERVPRO of Fort Collins team is only a call away after your home or business in the Fort Collins area suffers from a fire.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (970) 493-6335
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.