How To Remove Odors From Flood and Storm Damage
Flooding can have a major impact on your business in Fort Collins, CO, especially when it leaves a foul odor behind from mold growth due to flood water. Combined with any sewage loss, the resulting stench may seem impossible to eliminate. However, if you take immediate action after the water clears, you can mitigate and remove the damage quickly, leaving your business smelling fresh and clean.
How Do You Remove the Odors?
There are five things to keep in mind during odor removal:
- Act fast. Waiting too long will only intensify the damage and the smell.
- Remove any standing water. Storm cleanup professionals have industrial strength equipment to remove water from buildings and dry out wet or damp surfaces.
- Keep, repair, or replace. You will need to assess which items can be salvaged from the storm. Unfortunately, some items may be too damaged to keep or fix and will need to be discarded. Virtually any item subjected to mold growth should be destroyed.
- Clean, disinfect, and deodorize. Destroying mold and killing odor-causing bacteria will help remove odors and keep additional smells from developing.
- Don't hesitate to call in the pros. Commercial storm and flood cleanup services can help you recover quickly. These professionals are expertly trained and typically work off-hours, so they're available if a storm hits in the middle of the night. This allows you to get a head start on returning to business as usual.
Why Do Odors Form After Flooding in the First Place?
After a flood, water seeps into porous and fibrous materials, such as carpet and upholstered furniture, turning those materials into breeding grounds for bacteria. The condition worsens if the surfaces are not meticulously cleaned and thoroughly dried. In addition, the mold growth from excess moisture releases foul-smelling gasses into the air.
The prospect of restoring your business after floodwater hits can be daunting. By acting fast and consulting with a professional for help, however, you can get back on your feet in no time.